Saturday 30 July 2016

Hola Barcelona!

Do you ever feel time flash before yours eyes? I do, especially now that I am 25! Personally I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate it than go to Barcelona, so off I went with my travel partner in crime Nina.  Looking through my photos once again I yearn for those evenings with sandals and sleeveless tops but alas, flicking through the photos on my phone I keep my big smile on my face, perhaps a memory that will never really fade.



First stop...Park Güell! Located on Carmel Hill, PG is a public park designed by Antoni Gaudi, a renowned Catalonian architect. Originally the park was part of a commercially unsuccessful housing site, the idea of Count Eusebio Güell after whom the park was named. However since, Güell has commissioned it to be created as a stylish park for Barcelona aristocracy. Insider tip: If you are visiting the park by metro be prepared for a 20 minute walk with the last 200m or so going up a steep hill! Also the park holds a limited 400 tickets per half hour, for those of you interested in a full tour including seeing Gaudi's House Museum, prebook your tickets!


With such a wonderful day ahead, there was no excuse to miss out on visiting the beautiful Sagrada Familia *cue take me to church* (also make my very Catholic mum proud). For those of you in the dark, this beautiful church, congregated as a Basilica by Pope Benedict XVI (Nov 2010), although incomplete is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Designed once again by Gaudi this large Roman Catholic church, is over 134 years old and is estimated to be completed by 2026-2028. Insider tip: If you like your Nescafé, you must pop across the road to this small street hut that sells Frappélattes, the most delicious combination between ice cream and coffee ever!


Next stop La Boqueria, commonly known as the public market in the Ciutat Vella district of Barcelona and also one of it's most popular landmarks with an entrance from La Rambla. I appreciate every city has it's own kind of market but just the thought of this place makes me excited!


Insider tip: If you are coming to Barcelona, try and make time to see this market and taste their absolutely delicious and inexpensive (2 Euros) fruit juices.  Flavours varied, but I was quite happy to sip on my strawberry and mango juice all day long although not going to lie it lasted 5 minutes.


Next off to a scene in a Bond movie...Placa Reial, which is only a stone's throw from the market. This square is situated in the Barri Gotic part of Barcelona and is so renowned that the place itself is called Royal which in Spanish translates to Reial. Popular for its nightclubs, restaurants and night view, rumour has it that this part of town needs your eyes and hands to be dead set next to your belongings! We only managed to come here in the day time but even then the view within the square is so spectacular that a night visit wasn't sourly missed!


Insider tip: As my instagram food research continues, if you want to try some original 150 year old Churros with a cup of hot dark chocolate, why not try the Granja M Vader situated just off La Rambla. If you don't trust me, that's fine, but trust the Lonely Planet guide!

One thing that we love during city breaks are city walks! In Barcelona a walk down Passeig de Garcia for example is a fundamental way to soak in some Catalonian architecture. Below, once again we see Gaudi's work: La Pedrera or Casa Mila. In the sun it was just a perfect view to photograph! I promise you the real thing was just as surreal.


Now I don't recall ever in my life an upward trek being so worthwhile as that of climbing Montjuic! At some point we even managed to have some cable car action, although in theory you could walk all the way up. The view from the top is stunning and quickly makes you forget about those aching legs. Below you see the Palau Nacional since 1934 also known as the National Art Museum of Catalonia situated midway on it. Insider tip: Take a look down onto all of Barcelona or why not check out the Museum itself?


To end our lovely four day stay where else to go but to Barcelona beach, we managed to get there by horse and carriage, wait no rickshaw! Sitting in the sand, playing with the water or even water rafting, you name it and you will see it! I cannot lie and say we weren't annoyed by the countless vendors who would try and sell us anything from a massage to a Caipirinha regardless of which direction we looked but nevertheless definitely a spot to people watch. Insider tip: Have a spare night? Head over to the W Hotel, they have a fab view from their club (Eclipse Bar) at the top, you might even catch a celebrity!


To balance off this amazing time sightseeing across the city, our food adventures took us to Bardot for authentic Catalonian ham and wine, Milk Bar & Bistro for a finger licking brunch and Bacoa for a damn good burger - I am sure N would agree, all are recommended!

Those of you looking for something for the soul why not do a Picasso Museum audio tour? If that isn't your cup of tea go ahead and check out Camp Nou, the home of FC Barcelona an exhibit that I unfortunately was gutted to not have enough time for.

As all holidays go, this one also went by as quickly as it came, Barcelona was the best way I could end my 24 years on this planet.

Catch me soon on my eat pray love trip to Berlin...Without the love and without the pray ;)

MissBonda

x