Friday 8 January 2016

New Year, Same Me

I would like to apologise for my absence lately as I have been off home to Vienna to spend some much needed time with my family and friends over Christmas! But now with the first week back at work over and done with, I am ready for 2016!

However as much as I hate looking back in life, 2015 has been a great year too! To sum it up, I graduated from my MSc, I got a job that I love and was also fortunate enough to have met some crazy cool people. Last year I also pushed myself to start this blog and since that moment it has been brilliant, ironically I find myself in a position now caring less about the opinions of others than I initially thought. I realised through this beautiful process that I was doing this because I love sharing my thoughts and ideas with others.

In the last couple weeks I have read countless posts about the new year, some about the merits of the previous year, others with resolutions for the next and yet here I remain with a few thoughts, mainly confused as to what 2016 may hold for me. In between all the rush of my short trip home I managed to watch 'Lost in Translation' and a Bill Murray line seems to have stuck in my head ever since.




"Charlotte: I just don't know what I'm supposed to be. 
Bob: You'll figure that out. The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you."


I open my arms to 2016 with this in mind. At the ripe age of 24 I feel so strongly that every year as the candles on my cake increase the more confident I feel about what I want in life. This is why instead of going with the usual new year new me, which then for me personally normally transforms into diets that don't last, I have decided to take a new turn...new year, same me.

What that means is just that I feel it is time to understand me, who I am. Sounds bizarre right? All these years of our lives we are programmed by birth to pass to the next stage of something. When in school, to get to university, when in university, to get a job etc. But now its time for introspection. All the months of 2015 have made me realise that really I am getting to know myself more and more and so Bob was right, negative things don't affect me as much.

Don't get me wrong I do have goals for the future, like making the roads of the world unsafe by getting a license and travelling the world, but what I also want to do is understand to the fullest what I like, what my boundaries are, where my fears lie. One of my dearest friends once said to me 'always take care of Number 1' which is yourself. Learn to love yourself, because you have your whole life to spend with you. Life is so so so very beautiful. We forget that, but we mustn't and so I am going to focus on all the good in the day than the bad.

On that note I hope all of you have the chance to do the same. I have noticed that all those hours in the gym have improved my body and spirit and all those days I ate slightly more healthy, I felt great mentally and physically. In the rush of life, we often forget that we aren't machines and that we need our friends and family to survive, but in return we must be that friend and family too. We need to love ourselves to love others, we need to be kind to ourselves to be kind to others...we need to also not always cave into diets, eat better but don't you dare not eat that burger!




You may feel different, but thats okay too. We are all different, the point really is that 2016 should be about you too, don't you agree?

MissBonda

No comments:

Post a Comment