Sunday 13 December 2015

In Brød we trust

One of the things that I vowed to myself when I first started work a couple years ago was that I would make the conscious effort atleast once a year to go abroad and discover new lands. Early last month I managed to make a wonderful trip across the continent to Copenhagen. In short I loved everything about it, the extremely naturally beautiful folk, the dark colour fashion and obviously the food!





Now imagine my surprise when the cab driver on my way home tells me that a brand new danish bakery had opened up literally a day before. My holiday blues were gone and in that precise moment I knew that my story with Scandinavia had not quite ended.

Fast forward to yesterday when I finally managed to make my way surprisingly early to the lovely Brot in Pontcanna. For those of you that are slaves to the bus like me, be not afraid as it was only a short walk down the main road (hail to this). As I waited for my friend I noticed the warm and friendly atmosphere, this was ofcourse only straight after I had raced to the infamous window sill to have a mouth watering look at all the pastry delights. I kid you not, I had a full 10 minute debate with myself deciding what to eat, as one option was definitely not enough!

 

When my friend turned up, I found it really enlightening that the waitress was able to answer all the questions the two of us fussy eaters had. I finally made my decision to have the jam filled Spandauer as well as a Snegl with a pot of lovely cinnamon spice tea(all that for £7.50). My friend who only lived down the road and so had been here already, stuck with a classic custard Spandauer and coffee as she warned me about its richness, so advised me to take only one. Well challenge accepted MissBonda!

Moments later a gentleman brought over the goodies and I believe kindly advised me to wait 5 minutes for the tea to brew before I poured, I say this because my focus was heavily on the pastries. As I dug in I knew what my friend meant, both pastries were absolutely amazing and gave me a flashback to the good old days at home in traditional Viennese bakeries. However whilst pondering on the thought for another after I demolished the second one, my fully satisfied belly declined!



To sum up my trip, I would say Pontcanna will definitely be seeing more of me as the jam Spandauer has stolen my heart. I must say its absolutely amazing to see traditional bakeries back in business! I am gutted that I didn't take one for home, but I must admit my friend was right to say one piece of pastry comfortably fills you with your drink. To top it all off, the prices are incredibly reasonable, so if you like me feel that unique coffeeshops/bakeries are for you, then you really can't give this one a miss! 

Tak Betina for having us!

Brød - The Danish Bakery
126 Wyndham Cresant
Pontcanna
Cardiff

See you soon Brod(like tomorrow) you have made me a loyally returning customer!

MissBonda


No comments:

Post a Comment